There are more than 1.7 million open job requisitions for cloud-related IT positions worldwide, and more than 40% of new cloud-related jobs will be in emerging markets, according to IDC research.
A key element for cloud providers that should prove their technical competency is the level of knowledge and certifications they specialist achieved. Without this, the level of confidence in quality of the services offered is not reliable. On the other hand, specialist individual certification it is a realistic metric of the knowledge and skills of cloud providers employers, who have to prove the right mix of cloud skills, knowledge, and expertise. Practically each big cloud vendor developed his own curriculum for peoples who are developing, offering or accessing their services. As many certification could be provided by a cloud specialist, his technical level will become more attractive for any employer.
CIO.com published recently ” Top 10 Cloud Computing Certification” a selected review of certifications any cloud specialist should bring in his CV:
1. CCSK — Cloud Security Alliance – widely recognized like a “mother of all cloud computing security certifications”. The test is based on the Cloud Security Alliance Security Guidance for Critical Areas of Focus in Cloud Computing V3, English language version, and the ENISA report “Cloud Computing: Benefits, Risks and Recommendations for Information Security.”
2. Cloud U – Rackspace – a vendor-neutral curriculum designed for IT professionals and business leaders that covers and certifies knowledge of the fundamentals of Cloud Computing. Cloud U content is available to any professional at any time, but if you want a formal recognition of your knowledge about Cloud Computing, you should complete the courses and requirements for a certificate.
3. CompTIA Cloud Essentials — Comp TIA – covers the basic fundamentals of cloud computing and shows that individuals understand cloud computing from both a business and a technical perspective. In addition, the certification covers migration to the cloud and governance of cloud computing environments.
4. Cloud Certified Professional — CloudSchool.com – offers a number of vendor-neutral cloud certifications, each based on a one-day course module and aimed at competency in specific areas of cloud computing. There are certificates for Cloud Architects, Cloud Technology Professionals, Cloud Governance, and Cloud security, among others.
5 & 6. IBM Certified Cloud Solution Architect v1 and v3 – IBM – achieving these certifications, solutions architects will demonstrate the design, plan, architecture and management capabilities for IBM’s cloud computing infrastructure once they’ve completed the certification requirements.
7. Google Certified Specialist – Google – has practically two distinct certifications: Certified Deployment Specialist, and Certified Sales Specialist, which covers the fundamental skills, knowledge and technical expertise required to deploy Google Apps for Business and Education.
8. Salesforce.com Certified Professional — Salesforce.com – based on several certification tracks, including Salesforce Administrator, Force.com Developer, Implementation Expert, and Architect.
9. VMware Certified Professional – VMware – offers six cloud-specific certifications, from beginner to advanced. These tracks certify knowledge and expertise in a variety of cloud and virtualization-related technologies and methodologies. Offerings include the VMware Certified Associate — Cloud, VMware Certified Professional — Cloud, and VMware Certified Advanced Professional, among others.
10. Red Hat Certificate of Expertise in Infrastructure-as-a-Service — Red Hat – one of the newest cloud certifications available. The Red Hat Certificate measures professionals’ ability to design, build, deploy and manage private clouds based on the Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack platform.
This Top 10 is the subject of CIO selection. I’m sure any specialist is interested could find specific or general level certification from other important players on the cloud field like: Amazon, Microsoft, or Citrix. And here is what I find about specific certification offered by these:
Microsoft Learning Catalog – Microsoft – hosting 49 titles of learning plans, books, online training, classroom training, and exams referring to how to configure and deploy a private cloud with System Centre 2012, developing cloud database using MS SQL Azure, or running small business in the cloud with MS Office 365.
AWS Certification Program – Amazon – AWS Certifications recognize IT professionals that possess the skills and technical knowledge necessary for designing, deploying and managing applications on the AWS platform. Earning certification helps any individual gain visibility and credibility for his proven experience. The main certification levels offerd by AWS are: Certified Solution Arhitect, Certified Developer Associate, and Certified SySOps Administrator.
Citrix cloud computing certification – Citrix products are used all over the globe by large and a small businesses alike. As more organisations jumping on the cloud and minimizing costs through virtualization. Citrix applications are likely to spread even more than that of before. The best thing to do for any individual is to be as a professional working in an environment where Citrix is either used or could be used further. The main specialization covered by Citrix certification system are: Citrix Admin, Citrix Engineer, and Citrix Architect.